Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Those of us who are fathers today have one big responsibility that Joseph NEVER had to worry about. Our most important job is to get our families to Heaven" (Deacon Manny Iglesias, 1/1/47 to 5/30/12)

I first met Manny Iglesias and his wife, Sandy, about 20 years ago, when both Manny and I were checking into the permanent diaconate.  Of the entire group of middle aged men who were doing that discernment, I thought Manny best had the "cool" factor - hands down (Sorry gentlemen.)!  While short and thin, chain-smoking Manny came across as a tough guy - an absolutely loveable tough guy!

While 20 years added plenty of gray hairs to our heads and pounds to our frames, I was blessed to continue to know Manny, as he became Deacon Manny and served the Church in his ministry.  On the Feast of the Holy Family in 2011, I was doing sign language interpreting for Deacon Manny, when he provided a deeply insightful and moving homily.  As the head of a biological family, Deacon Manny had an insight which brought me to tears:
  • "Of all the people in scripture, [Saint] Joseph is probably one of the most underrated of all....he cared for Mary and Joseph as any good father would....Those of us who are fathers today have one big responsibility that Joseph NEVER had to worry about.  Our most important job is to get our families to Heaven...."
My above quote simply cannot capture the magnificence of Deacon Manny's homily that day.  Though he gave me a copy and permission to share it, I had not gotten around to doing so until today - the day that I learned of his passing.  I have attached a copy of the homily and hope that the Monitor will choose to publish it, in its entirety.

Deacon Manny, I will pray that you are reuniting with your beloved bride, Sandy.  Please keep us in your prayers, especially those of us who are trying to get our families to Heaven.

The Beatitudes from "Jesus of Nazareth"

 

Use of Emergency So-Called Contraceptives in Catholic Hospitals for Those Reporting Rape

Book & Film Reviews, pt 1

Book & Film Reviews, pt 2


Blog Archive

And yup, that's me!

And yup, that's me!
(from page 1 of the NY Sun, 3/22/04)

Total Pageviews

March for Life 2010

CatholicsComeHome.org